Thursday, November 5, 2009

August 2009

I saw images of Smith Rock State Park years ago, when I was stuck in Kansas. It was geography I love and I wanted to see it, but many trips to Bend Oregon had me whizzing by the turnoff. So, this summer it was time. A family camping trip was organized and Friday afternoon found me happily exploring this beautiful place. It was interesting to discover how soundly I slept in a tent, even though I forgot to make sure my sleeping place was level, so a midnight 90 degree adjustment was required. The next day was dreamily spent on a several mile hike along the Crooked River. I saw a blue heron. Dan and Karin did this hike and several others (they are young) including the long and steep Burma Road hike. I enjoyed watching the rock climbers. This is a serious rock climbing park. At night around our Coleman propane stove (so much better than the small stove I used to take on backpacking trips), we made wonderful meals, with wine and enjoyed scrabble and reading. I returned to Portland determined to camp once a month. Well, I never made it for various reasons but I see I can do this alone and feel safe in some of the car camping destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment